Formerly the Electronic Materials Group of The BFGoodrich Company, Promerus , LLC was formed as a wholly owned subsidiary of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., LTD of Japan on August 1, 2001. Though new as a commercial organization, the roots of Promerus technology stretch back over thirty years of work on cyclic olefin materials in the Goodrich laboratories. Now, as a member of the Sumitomo Bakelite family, Promerus represents a significant presence in North America for both research and commercial activities related to polycyclic olefins. From its offices and laboratories in suburban Cleveland, OH, Promerus is focused on growing its business and serving its customers through the development of advanced materials for electronic and other applications.
- Breakthrough catalytic and synthetic event involving new high activity catalyst and new, novel high temperature poly(norbornene).
- Development Group Formed within Corporate Technology.
- Development Group transferred to Goodrich Performance Materials Division.
- Construction begins on a pilot facility for demonstration of monomer and polymer processing.
- Awarded National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Advanced Technology Program Grant for “Tailored Optical Polymers through Catalysis”.
- Development program targeting photoresist polymers for semiconductor fabrication applications initiated.
- Awarded National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Advanced Technology Program Grant for “Optical Polymers and Manufacturing Processes for Low-Cost WDM Devices and Systems”.
- Secured United States Display Consortium contract for development of engineered substrate for flat panel display applications.
- Phase IV of Pilot Plant construction was completed. This phase included refining equipment, ultra-pure water system and clean-room packaging.
- Goodrich Announces Sale of Performance Materials Group.
- Acquisition of Electronic Materials Group by Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd., Completed.
- August 1, Promerus, LLC formed as a wholly owned subsidiary with Malcolm Miles as President and Chief Operating Officer.
- Joint Marketing Agreement completed with Ferrania S.p.A. covering the sales and distribution of Promerus’ Appear™ 3000 and Ferrania’s Arylite™ Performance Films.
- Princeton and Georgia Tech create 100nm scale channels with Promerus’ sacrificial materials and demonstrate electrophoretic transport of DNA within these channels.
- Promerus installs EV Group IQ Aligner with both 200 and 300 mm capability for development activities in wafer level packaging.
- Completed ISO-9001 Certificate
- Robert Shick became President and Chief Operating Officer
- Promerus receives Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. President’s Award for New Product Development
- Obtained 60th U.S. Patent
- Promerus Receives President’s Award from Parent Company Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.
- Obtained 80th U.S. Patent
- US DOE Funds Joint Development Project
- Promerus LLC (a subsidiary of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.) named Dr. Andrew Bell as Chief Operating Officer, replacing Dr. Robert Shick, who continues in his role as President.
- “Patent Power: Strong ideas start here” – Soder, C., et al. Crain’s Cleveland Business 2013
- Promerus LLC (a subsidiary of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.) named Mr. Koji Choki as President, replacing Dr. Robert Shick, who relocated to the Sumitomo Bakelite facility in Utsunomiya, Japan.
- Obtained 100th U.S. Patent
- Promerus LLC (a subsidiary of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.) named Mr. Goichiro Kuwaki as President, replacing Mr. Koji Choki.
- Promerus LLC (a subsidiary of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.) named Mr. Koji Choki as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
- Obtained 120th U.S. Patent
- Dr. Edmund Elce will receive the Award for Cooperative Research from the ACS Polymer Materials Science and Engineering Division. This award recognizes significant and sustained joint research in polynorbornenes with Professor Paul Kohl from Georgia Institute of Technology.